Withdrawing Life-Sustaining Treatment: Bio-Ethical Ramifications
StreamedJul 13, 2023Duration75 minutes
See Registration Options
- Unlimited & shareable access starting
two business days after live stream
- Available on desktop, mobile & tablet devices 24/7
- Take-away toolkit
- Ability to download webinar video
- Presenter's contact info for questions
A core tenet of hospice philosophy is that we “neither hasten nor postpone death” but try to positively impact the quality of life through wholistic symptom management.
This webinar will explore the bio-ethical ramifications of withdrawing life-sustaining treatment and equip the hospice team with the knowledge and resources they need to navigate these complex patient care issues.
- Identify guiding principles used in bioethics
- Explain the historical case precedents
- Apply relevant statutes to deliberations around withdrawal
- Articulate the ethical rationale for honoring patient autonomy
- Develop clear and ethical policies and procedures
Advances in medical technology prolong life through interventions such as dialysis, mechanical ventilation, and cardiac devices. However, what happens when someone declines initiation of these life-prolonging measures? Or what if they initiate and then decide to discontinue even knowing doing so will likely result in their death? What are caring medical providers to do? These scenarios are emotionally and morally impactful. It can be difficult to determine the right course of action. This webinar will ensure that your organization has the right knowledge and tools to provide an ethically sound approach to requests to forgo or discontinue life-sustaining treatment.
THIS WEBINAR WILL BENEFIT THE FOLLOWING AGENCIES:
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This informative session is relevant for all members of the interdisciplinary group and ethics committee participants.
- Sample policies and procedures
- Guidelines for deliberating ethical dilemmas
- Helpful reference materials
- Training log
- PDF of slides and speaker’s contact info for follow-up questions
- Attendance certificate provided, however there are no pre-approved CEs associated with this webinar
NOTE: All materials are subject to copyright. Transmission, retransmission, or republishing of any webinar to other agencies or those not employed by your agency is prohibited. Print materials may be copied for eligible participants only.
© 2023 FINANCIAL EDUCATION & DEVELOPMENT, INC