Approaches & Interventions for Treating Emotional & Spiritual Distress
- Unlimited and shareable access
two business days after live streaming
- Available on desktop, mobile & tablet devices 24/7
- Take-away toolkit
- Ability to download webinar video
- Presenter's contact info for questions
This webinar will address how to treat psychosocial and spiritual distress to provide high-quality, end-of-life care for patients and families.
- Differentiate between stress, distress, anxiety, acute stress disorder (ASD), and traumatic stress
- Describe how hyperarousal (sleeplessness, angry outbursts, etc.) is a common symptom of distress
- Apply three techniques to avoid escalation in the moment
- Utilize out-of-the-box virtual approaches, such as family meetings, patient and family support groups, virtual counseling, and involvement from community professionals and clergy
Distress can result from numerous situations, including social isolation, long and complicated treatments, guilt, regret, unfinished or unresolved relationships, and fear of imminent death. It can cause or exacerbate behaviors such as substance misuse, suicidal ideation, and agitation and aggression which have spiritual, emotional, and psychological implications. Learn how to address distress as part of ongoing, high-quality hospice care.
THIS WEBINAR WILL BENEFIT THE FOLLOWING AGENCIES:
- Home Health
- Home Care
- Palliative Care
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This informative session is designed for chaplains and social workers. However, all team members will benefit from learning how distress influences care and how to respond effectively within each scope of practice.
- Psychosocial distress and suffering assessment
- Spiritual distress and suffering assessment
- Psychosocial and spiritual acuity scales
- Program evaluation checklist
- Resource related to stress, distress, and traumatic stress interventions
- Handout with lecture notes, references, and additional learning opportunities
- Employee training log
- PDF of slides and speaker’s contact info for follow-up questions
- Attendance certificate provided, however there are no pre-approved CEs associated with this webinar.