Identifying & Addressing Spiritual Distress & Suffering
January 26, 2023
DateJan 26, 2023Duration60 minutes
12:00 PM PST01:00 PM MST
02:00 PM CST03:00 PM EST
- Unlimited connections for your agency
- Available on desktop, mobile & tablet
- Presenter’s contact info for questions
See Registration Options
- Unlimited & shareable access starting
two business days after live stream
- Available on desktop, mobile & tablet devices 24/7
- Take-away toolkit
- Ability to download webinar video
- Presenter's contact info for questions
Spiritual distress and suffering are a clear indication of the need for immediate, skillful intervention.
The spiritual caregiver’s expertise is vital in alleviating distress quickly. Learn how to address spiritual distress and suffering as part of ongoing, high-quality hospice care.
AFTER THIS WEBINAR YOU’LL BE ABLE TO:
- Define spiritual distress as it relates to terminal illness
- Define suffering as it applies to the work of spiritual caregivers
- Discuss how suffering and distress can influence pain and symptom management outcomes
- Examine two methods used to assess distress and suffering
- Translate assessment results into spiritual acuity ratings
- Apply trauma-informed care interventions to case examples
Distress is defined as ‘extreme anxiety, sorrow, or pain’ according to Oxford Languages. It is critical to respond skillfully and directly when people are suffering or in distress. Medicare is clear that we are to provide spiritual counseling, and spiritual anguish is an example where supportive interventions are generally not an adequate response. This is the third webinar in a three-part series. It will explore methods to assess both spiritual distress and suffering. It will utilize and apply counseling techniques and interventions from the previous webinar Counseling Techniques & Interventions for Spiritual Caregivers to common hospice scenarios and potentially challenging situations. Key concepts from trauma-informed care to address trauma-related distress will also be incorporated.
THIS WEBINAR WILL BENEFIT THE FOLLOWING AGENCIES:
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This informative session is designed for hospice spiritual caregivers/chaplains and leadership. Fellow team members will also benefit.
- Spiritual distress and suffering assessment
- Spiritual acuity scale
- Suffering scale
- Program evaluation checklist
- Resources related to the spiritual caregiver’s work
- Team member discussion guide
- References and additional learning opportunities
- Training log
- PDF of slides and speaker’s contact info for follow-up questions
- Attendance certificate provided, however there are no pre-approved CEs associated with this webinar
NOTE: All materials are subject to copyright. Transmission, retransmission, or republishing of any webinar to other agencies or those not employed by your agency is prohibited. Print materials may be copied for eligible participants only.
This Webinar Appears In
© 2022 FINANCIAL EDUCATION & DEVELOPMENT, INC