How Language Influences Outcomes: What We Say Versus How We Say It
StreamedFeb 24, 2022Duration90 minutes
See Registration Options
- Unlimited and shareable access
two business days after live streaming
- Available on desktop, mobile & tablet devices 24/7
- Take-away toolkit
- Ability to download webinar video
- Presenter's contact info for questions
Explore the many ways language can interfere with and influence high-quality care.
Take an in-depth look into what “backstage” and “bedside” language is and how to effectively use it.
AFTER THIS WEBINAR YOU’LL BE ABLE TO:
- Describe three ways that language can interfere with effective communication
- Discuss how words can negatively influence teams
- List five commonly used words/phrases that can be misleading, especially at the bedside
- Explain how the word “denial” is generally not informative and often judgmental
- Employ two methods that produce heightened levels of language self-awareness
- Apply two methods to help IDT members with positive, descriptive communication
Healthcare workers often use two types of language, “backstage” and “bedside.” Typically, how staff speak about situations in the office is not how they talk with clients – or is it? “Your husband is terminally ill.” “Your wife is actively dying.” Are you certain the audience being addressed knows what is being discussed? What about when coworkers say, “This is a difficult family”? What does that mean and what are we to do about it? Improve the level of care with this worthwhile webinar that will look at ways to communicate more effectively both backstage and at the bedside.
THIS WEBINAR WILL BENEFIT THE FOLLOWING AGENCIES:
- Palliative Care
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This informative webinar is designed for all interdisciplinary team members, including social workers, chaplains, physicians, nurses, bereavement professionals, therapists, and volunteer managers. Professionals in management and leadership positions will also benefit from attending.
- Self-assessment exercise
- Organizational assessment exercise
- Guidelines for “better choices” related to language
- Discussion guide to use with staff and volunteers following the webinar
- Handout with additional lecture notes and resources
- PDF of slides and speaker’s contact info for follow-up questions
- Attendance certificate provided, however there are no pre-approved CEs associated with this webinar
NOTE: All materials are subject to copyright. Transmission, retransmission, or republishing of any webinar to other agencies or those not employed by your agency is prohibited. Print materials may be copied for eligible participants only.
Gary Gardia Inc.
© 2022 FINANCIAL EDUCATION & DEVELOPMENT, INC