The Denial Myth: Skillfully Working with Real or Perceived Denial
StreamedJul 23, 2020Duration90 minutes
See Registration Options
- Unlimited & shareable access starting
two business days after live stream
- Available on desktop, mobile & tablet devices 24/7
- Take-away toolkit
- Ability to download webinar video
- Presenter's contact info for questions
Are your patients in “real” denial or are they using coping strategies?
Learn how to skillfully address denial by recognizing the different forms and applying the appropriate approaches and interventions.
AFTER THIS WEBINAR YOU’LL BE ABLE TO:
- List three common coping strategies that frustrate team members
- Define denial in terms of psychological/emotional wellbeing
- Differentiate denial as a coping strategy from cultural forms of protection or respect
- Explain the pros and cons of denial as a coping strategy
- List four degrees of denial
- Explain a method that gently helps address key admission criteria
- Discuss two approaches/interventions to facilitate team cooperation around various aspects of denial and other challenging coping mechanisms
What is often perceived as denial is actually a very reasonable coping strategy. There are four degrees of denial and most people are not in “real” denial. Since this is a very common hospice dynamic, it is imperative that hospice workers fully understand what is happening when they encounter the various forms of denial and other coping strategies. This majority of the webinar will be spent on individual and team skill development; background information will be provided as well.
THIS WEBINAR WILL BENEFIT THE FOLLOWING AGENCIES:
- Palliative Care
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This webinar will address a common dynamic that frequently challenges all team members. It will benefit admissions staff, IDG team members, and volunteers. In addition, management and leadership will learn more about providing consistent, organization-wide approaches, policies, and guidance.
- Discussion guide for staff and volunteers about denial and coping strategies
- Exercise with scenarios and methods/techniques and interventions
- Links to online resources for additional learning and discussion
- Handout with additional lecture notes
- PDF of slides and speaker’s contact info for follow-up questions
- Attendance certificate provided, however there are no pre-approved CEs associated with this webinar
NOTE: All materials are subject to copyright. Transmission, retransmission, or republishing of any webinar to other institutions or those not employed by your agency is prohibited. Print materials may be copied for eligible participants only.
Gary Gardia Inc.
© 2022 FINANCIAL EDUCATION & DEVELOPMENT, INC